Extend the Life of Your Fence with Consistent Wood Fence Repairs
Wood is a very durable choice as a fence material. The way to make it last as long as possible is with regular maintenance. When you get wood fence repairs in Louisville, CO, done as soon as you notice a problem, you are investing in a longer lifespan for your fence.
Wood is strong and lasts for years. But like every material that is out in the elements, it wears out and suffers damage. When you commit to a consistent schedule of upkeep and inspection, you can reduce your repair bills and adds many years to the life of your fence.
Do I Need a New Fence, or Can I Repair My Old One?
Wood is a very adaptable material. After enough wear and tear, after decades of serviceability, it will eventually wear out and need replacement. But it takes a lot for a wood fence to lose its effectiveness.
Do you see a lot of cracks in your fence? Is it listing to one side? Does it look rundown and ragged? In almost every case, standard repairs can give it new life.
A fence specialist might recommend replacing specific boards, reinforcing portions of the fence or gate, or adding a coat of paint or stain. The end result of these wood fence repairs in Louisville, CO, is a fence with years more life and a fresh, clean look.
Why Do Wood Fences Need Repairs?
Wood is a natural material, and thus suffers the degradations and deterioration any organic building substance experiences. Wind, snow, rain, freezing temperatures, and hot sun all speed up the process of decay.
A big factor is that fences are out in the open. They take the brunt of weather conditions. Vandals take out their frustrations on them. Livestock rubs up against them. Children and pets run into them.
All building materials need repairs over time. Since fences are usually the first line of security on your property, it’s natural that they are the first to show signs of wear and tear and damage.
Specific Problems that Lead to Repairs
Wood will deteriorate for a variety of reasons. In each case, the damage needs to be repaired. Here is a closer look at problems that require upkeep:
- Weather extremes: all types of wood are affected by the effects of the UV rays of the sun, strong winds, and the impact of water in the form of rain, sleet, snow, and ice. Wind and moisture can lead to the ground shifting, which in turn causes posts to move out of alignment. Weather also has a dramatic effect on the look of your fence, aging it quickly.
- Insects: termites are a nightmare for wood fence owners. That’s why cedar fencing is so popular, with its natural properties that resist pests. For all types of wood fences, when you inspect the fence regularly, you can catch signs of damage quickly. You might need to get a board or post replaced, but this can save the rest of your fence from insect damage.
- Rot: moisture damage is truly the bane of wood fences. When not caught early, it leads to rot, undermining the integrity of your fence. More than anything else, rot can cost you money by requiring you to replace sections or even the entire fence. This is another big advantage of cedar fencing, which has natural oils that help it resist rot.
- Sagging: this is especially common with gates. This part of the fence gets used the most. Every time someone goes in or out of your yard, the components of the gate are put under stress. The hinges will eventually wear out, the frame breaks down, and you end up with a gate that sags. This can also affect the fencing around the gate. If you get steady rain and snow, it is common for the ground to shift. This too increases the chances that your wood fence gate or boards, posts, and rails will sag.
- Vandalism: even graffiti undermines the health of your fence. If people are taking their frustrations out on your wood fence, it will need prompt repair.
- Frame problems: usually problems with the frame are due to shifting ground—a result of weather conditions in most cases—or improper installation. If you don’t get wood fence repairs in Louisville, CO, done quickly, it can actually undermine the strength of your entire fence.
- Foundations: your fence needs to be raised on firm foundations. Experienced installers know how to support the fence properly, keeping it stable for its lifespan. But if something harms the foundation, or the fence wasn’t built correctly, you might end up with stability issues. These need to be repaired immediately if you want to avoid replacement costs.
I Want to Save Money and Repair My Own Fence
The simplest thing you can do, and also the most effective, to save money on wood fence repairs in Louisville, CO, is an annual inspection. If you are suffering though unusual weather conditions, do an inspection once each season.
Look for loose nails, screws, hinges, and other hardware. Check for cracks, warping, and holes. Test how strong the framework is. If you see anything out of the ordinary, get it fixed.
Experienced do-it-yourselfers can tackle basic fence repair. But if the problem is related to the foundation of the fence or the frame, it is wise to have a specialist in wood fence repairs in Louisville, CO, take a look.
It is usually cost-effective for homeowners inexperienced with fence repair to hire pros, like the team at Snowy Peak Fencing. They do this type of work day in and day out and have the tools and the expertise to handle all types of wood fence problems. The job gets done quickly and expertly.
When you hire someone who knows fences literally from the ground up, you save money in the long run. The damage is repaired and won’t get worse. Your fence stays strong, functional and attractive.
How Can I Reduce Repair Costs?
Experienced fence installers recommend 6 ways to save money on wood fence repairs in Louisville, CO.
Annual inspection. You can do this yourself in the space of an hour or two. Check for signs of damage and wear and tear. Make a note of work that needs to be done.
Annual cleaning. A good thing to do at the same time as the inspection is a thorough cleaning. Scrub off moss, dirt and other buildup.
Consistent upkeep. Many wood fences require sealing every two to three years. If you stain your fence, do that every two to three years or follow the recommendations of your fence builder. If you paint your fence, apply a new coat every few years.
Repair it quickly. As soon as you notice a problem, get it fixed. The longer you wait, the worse the damage and the higher the expense.
Use quality materials. Invest in quality wood, hardware, sealants, stains, and paints. These will last years longer than budget materials.
Get the work done by a pro. Hire an expert in wood fence repairs to keep your fence in top-notch condition. The work will get done quickly and properly. It is the cost-effective approach.
Work with the Wood Fence Professionals
At Snowy Peak Fencing, we’re proud of the reputation we’ve earned for attention to detail, quality craftsmanship, superior materials and one-on-one customer service. We are wood fence experts, specializing in cedar and experienced with all types used for fencing and decks.
We are the professionals you can count on for all your wood fence repairs in Louisville, CO, and we also handle maintenance. If you’re thinking of building a fence, we handle the entire process, from design through construction. Our team of experts can discuss the best materials to use and explore design options with you, based on what you want to accomplish with your fence.
In addition to fencing, the crew here at Snowy Peak can help you with a range of outdoor projects. Are you thinking of installing a deck? We do design and construction, resurfacing and repair. We also install retractable awnings to help you make the most of your outdoor living area.
Call Snowy Peak Fencing today for a free, no-obligation quote for wood fence repairs in Louisville, CO.